Modeling of Infectious Diseases
- Duration: 17 weeks
- Effort: 51 hours
- Pace: ~3 hours/week
What you will learn
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Build a model using flow charts
- Identify how flow charts are translated into ordinary differential equations
- Recognize techniques for deriving formulas for the basic reproduction number, R0, and the effective reproduction number, R
- Identify the principles of estimating R0 and R from data
- Recognize the SIR model
- Identify how public health interventions can be modeled using flow charts
We live in a highly interconnected world, where infectious diseases find opportunities to spread globally, like never before in the history of mankind. This raises new challenges in public health for epidemiologists, medical doctors and biologists alike, engaged in the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. Mathematical and computational models can contribute in this cross-disciplinary, concerted effort. They can make short-term predictions on how epidemics progress, help analyze scenarios on epidemic outcome and inform about the impact of public health interventions.
The MOOC is organized in 5 chapters with 1 to 7 sequences per chapter. In each sequence, you will find an 5 to 13 minute-long video and a multiple choice question test to help you to check your understanding. There are 6 to 14 multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter depending upon the number of sessions, and a certification exam. The videos are in English, subtitled in English and French.
Follow the instructions to change parameters here (How to use the platform).
We recommend a good scientific background (such as a bachelor of life science).
Assessment and certification
To follow this course, you have the choice between two formulas. The DISCOVERY path gives you access to videos, quizzes and exchanges in the forum. Additionnaly, the QUALIFYING path gives you access to a qualifying exam.
If you opt for this path, you will have access to the videos, the quizzes and the exchanges in the forum. For this path, no certificate will be delivered. The registration is free.
In addition to the activities offered in the DISCOVERY path, the QUALIFYING formula will allow you to obtain a certificate in the form of a "certificate". To do this, you will have to take a exam, monitored remotely, lasting 1 hour, consisting of 30 multiple choice questions (MCQ) and obtaining 18 correct answers.
The registration fee for the qualifying course is 150€.
Obtaining a qualifying certification is an opportunity for you to obtain a diploma. This course is one of the MOOCs of the Institut Pasteur's Digital Diploma in Infectious Diseases program (DNM2IP). For more information, see the Institut Pasteur web page, dedicated to this new diploma
Chapter 2 - Modelling basics
Chapter 3 - The SIR model
Chapter 4 - R0 and its calculation
Chapter 5 - Modelling interventions
Other course runs
This MOOC is part of the Institut Pasteur Online Diploma in Infectious Diseases (DNM2IP)
License for the course content
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.