- Duration: 8 weeks
- Effort: 24 hours
- Pace: ~3 hours/week
What you will learn
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the cellular and molecular players of innate immunity,
- Describe the mechanisms that lead to the elimination of pathogens
- Explain the strategies of the pathogens against the innate immune system
- Discuss the influence of genetic and microbiota on innate immune system
- Present its links with central nervous system and adaptive immunity
Innate immunity acts as a first line of defense and can destroy invading microorganisms and trigger inflammation that contributes to blocking their assault, days before the action of adaptive immunity. While adative immunity was the major focus of researchers in the XXth century, the sensing of the exogenous or endogenous dangers signals was recently described, as well of the action of numerous cells. This MOOC describes the players and the whole orchestra involved in innate immunity against pathogens.
This MOOC is organized in 6 chapters. Each chapter is composed of 4 to 7 sequences. In each sequence, you find a 10 minute video and a multiple choice test to help students check their understanding. The videos are in English subtitled in French and in English.
This MOOC targets people with a medical or scientific training background who are interested in all aspects of innate immunity: medical students, scientific Master II and PhD students (Immunology, Bacteriology, Parasitology, Virology…), post-doc, physicians, pharmacists, veterinarians, and all scientists working on bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites, interested to learn more about the defense mechanism of the host against their favored bug.
Assessment and certification
You may register to this MOOC in two ways:
You get access to all video-sessions, post session and weekly quizzes and web-forum.
In addition to video-sessions, post session and weekly quizzes and web-forum, you have access to hangouts along the MOOC and to a final individual online evaluation under surveillance.
Success at this final examination will provide you with a certificate signed by FUN and by Institut Pasteur.
The cost of the qualifying course is 150€.
Before registering to the qualifying path make sure that your scientific background is sufficient enough and correspond at least to a bachelor of live sciences.
To qualifying path, success at this final examination will provide you with a certificate signed by FUN and by Institut Pasteur.
- Chapter 1: Cellular players - part 1
- Chapter 2: Cellular players - part 2
- Chapter 3: Molecular players - part 1
- Chapter 4: Molecular players - part 2
- Chapter 5: Host-pathogen interactions
- Chapter 6: Regulation of innate immune response
Other course runs
- From Nov. 4, 2019 to May 1, 2020
- From May 2, 2017 to June 12, 2017
License for the course content
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.